Beginners Level classes are required before moving on to more advanced Aerial classes.
PRE-REGISTRATION FOR AERIAL CLASSES IS REQUIRED. You may sign up online or call to register. Please arrive at least 15 minutes before class.
What is VaihAyasa Aerial Yoga?
VaihAyasa is Sanskrit for “being or moving in the air, suspended in the air, sky-dwellers.” An appropriate name for the newest style of Aerial Yoga that combines the fun of other playful acrobatic aerial, with the more grounding and alignment-centered details of more yogic aerial. It is a smooth merger of both extremes of the aerial yoga world that allows practitioners to sink into their practice more quickly, to deepen stretches, to find proper alignment naturally, and to reap the benefits of inversions without strain on the joints of the body. Aerial Yoga allows practitioners to invert without strain to the neck or joints, allowing for surrender into a posture and full benefits. You will find that your mind clears, shifting to become open, aware, present.
In VaihAyasa Aerial Yoga a soft fabric hammock, supporting up to 800 lbs, suspended a few feet off the ground, is used to move through traditional & non-traditional Hatha Yoga poses. Used as a prop, the hammock assists alignment, deepens awareness and provides immediate benefits of spinal decompression. With the weight of the body partially or fully supported along with the help of gravity and the fabric, space is naturally created in the body without effort.
Some Aerial Yoga postures are geared at helping students better understand the proper alignment of traditional Yoga postures, and some are meant to help students achieve advanced traditional Yoga postures which may not otherwise be available to a student.
What Happens In a Typical Class?
While practicing VaihAyasa Aerial Yoga, students will move through the same basic elements of a floor practice (pranayama, asanas, savasana), except that they will be elevated in the fabric or using the fabric for alignment for the entire class. Some postures will involve only partial support from the hammock, while others will require complete trust in the fabric as it supports 100% of the body weight. Begin with a Beginners class which will cover all of the basic wraps of VaihAyasa Aerial Yoga, & expand into more advanced classes that explore variations & flows that will deepen your practice & keep your inner child wanting more.
Benefits of VaihAyasa Aerial Yoga:
- Move more fluidly Attain proper alignment naturally
- Decompress the neck & spine
- Less pressure on hands, neck, shoulders & joints
- Achieve more advanced postures while being supported
- Allows gravity to deepen stretches
- Experience the benefits of inversions without risk of injury to neck or spine
- Enhance, deepen, & advance your floor practice
- Have fun while you Strengthen & Lengthen
How Do I Prepare for an Aerial Yoga Class?
- You can bring a yoga mat to class, but it is not necessary.
- Wear a shirt that covers your underarms completely.
- Bring a large towel or thick sweatshirt for padding until you are used to the feeling of the fabric.
- Do not use hand lotion or sunscreen before class.
- Do not wear jewelry, belts, or clothing with grommets, gems, or anything that could potentially snag the fabric.
- Avoid lose shorts or very baggy clothing.
- Make sure your leggings are opaque.
- Please trim your finger and toenails.
- Eating or drinking is never recommended before yoga, but it is particularly important with Aerial. Avoid eating or drinking acidic liquids an hour prior to class.
- Please observe good personal hygiene and wear deodorant in consideration for the next person using the hammock.
Please talk to the instructor before attending class if you have any medical issues that prevent you from inverting (glaucoma, heart condition, etc.) or putting pressure on your skin. If you have a spinal injury or medical condition, check with your doctor first. All students are required to complete a release waiver prior to class.
Weight limit = 350 lbs.