The Niyamas: A lecture and yoga practice
The yamas and niyamas are the first two limbs of the eight-limbed path, which is a step-by-step path towards the realization of yoga, as described in the ‘Yoga Sutras of Patanjali’. They are the most concrete places to start, as they relate directly to how you behave outwardly in the world and inwardly toward yourself. They’re like a map written to guide you on your life’s journey. Simply put, the yamas are things not to do, or restraints, while the niyamas are things to do, or observances. Together, they form a moral code of conduct.
The five niyamas, personal practices that relate to our inner world, include:
• Saucha: purity
• Santosha: contentment
• Tapas: self-discipline, training your senses
• Svadhyaya: self-study, inner exploration
• Ishvara Pranidhana: surrender
We will explore each of the niyamas, followed by some movement, so bring your yoga mat and a notebook and pen.
You can choose to attend this special class IRL or Virtually:
- Option 1 – IRL (In Real Life!) at dimitraYOGA, Lewes, located at 17437 Ocean One Plaza, Suite 1. Due to the numerous props we use, the number or participants is limited. Enroll early to reserve your spot!
- Option 2 – Virtual via Zoom. In this case, a link will be sent to your email about 30 minutes before class begins each week. You will be able to see and hear our instructor but you will not be able to talk to them during the class. *If this day/ time doesn’t work into your schedule, you can still participate because everyone who signs up for the virtual option will receive a recording of the class, so you can watch it when you have time that day or the next! (each recording automatically deletes after 48 hours) Need more instruction on how to attend via Zoom? Read more here: https://dimitrayoga.com/online-class-guide/
✨ All levels welcome!
✨ No prior yoga experience necessary.
✨ Open to members and non-members.
$25 for annual + autopay members
$30 for all others